Wednesday, June 27, 2018

REVIEW: Avengers #322

Writer: Fabian Nicieza
Pencils: Paul Ryan
Inks: Christopher Ivy
Colors: Renee Witterstaetter
Letters: Jack Morelli
Review: Art Bee

Some weeks ago, Avengers #322 caught my eye from a back issue box at my LCS. The cover screams for an action packed issue and it delivers. This issue is part four of The Crossing Line story arc and is subtitled, “Bombs Away!”
The truth behind Avengers #322 is there’s a lot going on in this issue, but the creative team does and incredible job of keeping the reader on the proper path with little confusion.
Why would I say this?
The answer is simple: this issue has three super hero teams working together; the Avengers, Alpha Flight, and The People’s Protectorate.

The story opens with these three teams delivering a coordinated attack on the Atlantians, who have commandeered a submarine loaded with nuclear weapons with the intent of starting a World War. I wish I knew more of the back story from the first three parts, but there seems to be some big reveals in this issue. Something I don’t like, and don’t somewhat understand, is who is spearheading the leadership of the three groups to coordinate the attack.
Capt. America seems to be the leader in a small capacity but does not show it much.
The goal of the team up is to shut down the launch sequence that has been started with about four hours at the start. I bet you can already guess this is going to come down to the wire, otherwise there would be no drama.

Reading this issue transported me back to my childhood in a cultural sense.
1990 was about the end of the Cold War, and everyone was paranoid about nuclear war and Russia. I remember playing with my G.I. Joes and fighting the Russians on my bedroom floor. Also, this comic showed the prevalent attitudes between Canadians and Americans with some of the banter shared between the different cultures.
Gotta love that!

The artwork is a little below par for 1990. Even the colors are not quite to the standard Marvel seemed to demand in that era. The best artwork in the issue is on pages two and three, but even that is really below what I can call good.
In a way, I think my twelve-year-old can color much better. Truth is, artistically, the cover is far above the rest of the comic.

For being an action packed comic book, Avergers #322 is a little on the dull side. Maybe it’s due to my lack of information of the first three parts, but that is hard to know. After this issue there are two other parts to this story arc. Personally I don’t think I will be on the hunt for them or the first three, but I may change my mind in the future.
The cover is worthy of being treasured, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment