Wednesday, March 14, 2018

REVIEW: The Transformers #6

Script: Bob Budiansky
Art: Alan Kupperberg
Lettering: Rick Parker
Colors: Nel Yomtov
Review: Art Bee

Transformers…a story from my youth. At my childhood home in Dover A.F.B., Delaware, the local 7-11 had my weekly binge of Marvel along with a couple rounds of an arcade game and a slurpee. Saturdays were bliss for me back then. Rain, snow, or shine, my bike’s peddles were pumpin’ towards that green and orange store when and where $5 made you feel like a king.

While digging through some back issue boxes, this pristine gem gleamed in my memory banks. Once, in my youth, I had owned this issue but it had long since fled my possession. Marvel had pioneered The Transformers comic book series, starting it approximately two years after the hit cartoon aired in September, 1984. Many mornings before school found me sitting, “Indian style”, in front of the TV with a bowl of cereal watching the “robots in disguise” before a fast sprint to beat the school bell (I succeeded most of the time). 

This issue features the fallout of the previous issue’s battle in which most of the Autobots and Decepticons are in need of repair. The newcomer, Shockwave, is shown making steps to assume leadership over the Decepticons. He makes a successful move to acquire a new base and energy resource before confronting the current leader, Megatron. The second half of the issue features the battle for dominance between the two for the coveted title.   

Meanwhile, with most of the Autobots out of commission, Optimus Prime makes an interesting and unknown, “download”, into his human friend, Buster Witwicky. The issue ends with the fate of the Autobots in the air, and the Decepticons vowing their loyalty to the dominate member.
What? Did you think I would tell you who wins the fight? Come on…

The Transformers #6 is from the mid-80s, so Marvel’s standards were high then. The writing is solid, and the artwork is standard for the era. I do have to ridicule the colors though; they are a little on the drab side with very little life. That is my only qualm with the book. The copy I grabbed is in great condition with very little yellowing of the pages, and the spine is in great shape.

The book even has an army of Spider-man clones all over it in various ads, but those ads are like time machines transporting my mind back to the grand days of my youth. This comic has everything I needed and some things I didn’t. There have been so many times I have wished for Marvel to return to its days of standards and class.

No comments:

Post a Comment