Wednesday, December 30, 2015

REVIEW: Marvel Team-Up #132

Writer: J.M. Dematteis Artists: Sal Buscema and Mike Esposito Color: Bob Sharen Letter: Joe Rosen Review: Madman
I plundered this beauty from one of the many longboxes that myself, the HCB’s own ole’ Cat Lady Dubbeld and his lady friend, diligently pawed through at Kokomo-Con 2015. In fact I distinctly remember Will practically forced me (possibly with the Force via the Dark Side) to buy this comic (beginning to suspect the comic jockey and Will are in cahoots . . . some kind of evil super team that forces innocents to buy comics to shoot up in the alley ‘round back). As he threw the comic in question on the longbox in front of me he seductively asked, “Would this be something you’re interested in?” I looked down and without hesitation tossed said comic onto my stack of dollar box gold. I mean the cover is horribly “fantastic”, with Spidey swinging through the air with grotesque midget Hulk legs and Mr. Fantastic‘s rubbery pelvis contorted and “innocently” contouring some “Spider-B-Hole”, with an “I’m gonna get ya, sucka” look on his mug. I’ve been staring at this cover for like 15 minutes and I’ve decided two things: #1: I can’t bring myself to act out the exact “moment” in “comicdom” that this cover depicts in funny little voices. As much as I want to, I flat out refuse. #2: I seriously think that “old school” Reed and Nick Fury share the same head…every other Tuesday and “twice” on Saturday. All awkward sexual innuendo aside I loved this freaking comic. The script was super fun and engaging straight from the “jump” and the art definitely had that nostalgic newsprint “vibe” from the humble beginnings and “pre-whore’n” Marvel. The story starts out with Reed in his workshop and his dead best buddies’ son, Larry, shows up. HUH! It Turns out Larry has “escaped” . . . or was he set free? [Enter evil laughter here]. As Reed goes to get his guest a soda, Larry reveals his true intentions and dons a featureless mask, brandishes a “futuristic” ray gun that looks like a diver’s oxygen tank, and starts referring to himself as Every Man . . . Larry the Every Man zaps Reed with his “scuba-gun” and sucks out his energy as well as his genius. Low and behold, Spidey shows up to ask Reed for ideas that will help Peter make some bill money (eff you Spider-Stark). Spidey teams up with Reed to eventually defeat Larry. It’s not your typical hero beats on the villain, villain goes to jail type defeat. Reed literally turns Larry into a whimpering mess by talking to Larry and convincing him that he’s really just some crazy-ass whack job. Larry surrenders and apologizes for the mischief he has caused (attacking Reed, murdering three cops . . .), then Reed, much to my surprise, accepts Larry’s apology and then just lets him go. That’s it. Oh ok, you apologized . . . you’re free to go. I love it . . . except Spidey’s grotesque midget Hulk legs . . . screwing with my chi.

No comments:

Post a Comment