Wednesday, July 13, 2016

REVIEW: Ka-Zar #1 - 2

Storytellers: Mark Waid and Andy Kubert
Inker: Jesse Delperdang
Colorist: Joe Rosas
Letterer: Todd Klein
Review: Art Bee

For a very long time Marvel was the best from my point of view. Over the last year I have made my more recent opinions very clear of how they and DC conduct business. What a wonderful feeling to read something from an era when Marvel actually liked their readers and respected them.
While at my LCBS and resting my armpits from my crutches, the “K” back issue box compelled me to thumb through it and that is how I came to own and read Ka-Zar #1 and #2.

Other than what I have gathered from X-men comics, Ka-Zar was a great mystery. It was nice to open a Marvel first issue and not be bombarded with origin story information. When these were released in 1997, Marvel was subtle about providing background information, which made it seem more of a reminder than a re-education. Also this approach adds value to the story rather than delay it.



This series starts with a meeting between Parnival Plunder, Ka-Zar’s brother, and Gregor, in which they discuss Gregor’s trip into the Savage Land to hunt down and kill Ka-Zar. Even though Lord Plunder is in New York City and his brother is in the middle of Antarctica, it would seem just the fact that Ka-Zar just draws breath is too much. So, Gregor is hired to traverse the world to assassinate the Protector of the Savage Land.

Realistically this story is about as dull as watching people shingle a roof. When you hear about Ka-Zar, you anticipate a self-titled series would involve a lot of action. Instead we see a chase with our hero running and the assassin following behind for a long time. Once I finished the second issue, my view of Ka-Zar was not as a hero but a coward.

The artwork was the ONLY reason I finished every page of these issues. The lines and colors are quite amazing. On pages 16 and 17 there is a double page image of Ka-Zar, some dinosaurs, and scenic backdrop featuring a volcano. This image is my favorite and is worth owning. Almost every panel has the same detail and quality.

This series does not seem to be my cup of tea, but Marvel from this era was getting things right more often than not. One day they will get their heads out of the sand and realize where their value is located. If Marvel would only reinstitute the philosophy they once had, they could do three times as well. This philosophy is summed up in Stan Lee’s own words found in Stan’s Soapbox in Ka-Zar #2:
“So, wherever you go, whatever you do, think Marvel! And never forget – you are more than a reader to us, even more than a fan – you’re a friend, and friends stay in touch with each other! Excelsior!”

No comments:

Post a Comment