Wednesday, November 16, 2016

REVIEW: Kull #9

Scripter: Alan Zelenetz
Penciler: John Buscema
Inker: Mel Candido
Letterer: John Morelli
Colorist: Marie Severin
Review: Art Bee

While trudging through the dense boxes filled with the floppies of yesteryear, I comest upon a
sight unseen by mine eyes afore. Are you tired of this already? I certainly am. Though I have
never read a Kull comic before, it will more than likely never happen again. This was not one of
Marvel’s greatest accomplishments. Although I do miss buying comic books for change as in my
childhood at the local 7-Eleven, this comic was still over priced at $0.65 even for 1985.

This comic book is about a block-head of a warrior-king named Kull. In Kull #9, a lovely young
noble lady named Daphne finds a worthy challenge for Kull to fight. He offers her a choice of
jewels from the treasury, but she turns them down and practically draws a picture in crayon about
her love for him. Silly Kull completely ignores her and spits some ridiculous crap about clouded
minds to his minstrel, Ridondo . . . truly and absurd name. This minstrel has an absurd name, but
throughout the comic book I was rooting for Ridondo to knife Kull in the back and take the
throne for himself.  


That’s kind of funny, because there have been Batman comic books in which I have thought the
same thing about Robin when Bruce was being a bit of an oafish jerk . . .

Kull has to find a legendary sword and take it to the former owner’s sepulcher (that is a burial
crypt if you don’t already know). The dead man rises and Kull fights him. The ending has a bit of
a fairy tale twist to it, but it is far from a cliff hanger. It’s more like a grassy field in February:
dull and lifeless.

The most annoying thing about the comic book was the Old English-style dialogue, but it would
have been easier to handle if the scripter had been consistent with it. The second most annoying
thing was Kull . . . enough said.

The artwork was really good for what was being produced in the ‘80s. Granted, by today’s
standards this is sub par, but all of the pencils and inks were exceptionally done. The colors were
very plain with little shading which left me feeling like I was looking at a finished coloring book
and not getting to color myself. ​

Do you want to know what the best part of the comic book was for me? Spider-Man telling me to
be sure to tell if someone touches me in a way that makes me uncomfortable. Plus, it’s not my
fault.

It is really cool reading comics from many moons ago. Older comics can reveal so much about
those times; they are almost like time capsules. So be sure to thumb through the back issue boxes
at your LCBS and convention booths and give a homeless comic a home. Remember to have
them spayed or neutered or they will take over your neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment