Wednesday, November 23, 2016

REVIEW: The Transformers: All Hail Megatron #1

Written by: Shane McCarthy
Art by: Guido Guidi
Colors by: Josh Burcham
Letters by: Neil Uyetake & Chris Mowry
Edits by: Denton J. Tipton
Review: Will Dubbeld

Truth be told, Transformers comics (or one comic in particular) were an important factor in my formative nerd years. One of the first comics in my collection was an early issue of the Marvel Transformers series featuring Spider-Man.
Already having a grasp of Spider-Man and already a fan of Transformers, because what '80s kid wasn't, this book was an eye opener. Cross-property teamups, worldbuilding, and continuity first dawned on me as I turned the pages.

I wasn't a rabid follower of Transformers comics in the years following but did keep myself abreast of their goings-on. I've picked up a few issues here and there, but there's enough content in recent years to believe IDW is competing with Marvel's X-Men for the sheer amount of ongoings, minis, spinoffs, and one-shots for a franchise. There's simply too much content for me to handle.
BUT I received the first ten issues of All Hail Megatron for free, so here we are.

The book opens with a brief, 1-page synopsis of the previous story and then almost immediately we're thrown into the carnage of a Decepticon attack.
Beautiful.

Constructicons roll up into a city and just start wreaking havoc as evil giant robots do. Starscream and the other two less memorable fighter jet Decepticons soon join the fun and herald the arrival of the big bad himself, Megatron.
Gone is the traditional incompetent stereotype of Megatron's ineffectual leadership; rather we're treated to pages of the Deceptions as a primal force of destruction as they lay waste to the city and the military. My boy, Soundwave, takes the stage at one point and I couldn't be happier.

We are exposed to the obligatory human interest aspect of Transformers universe in the form of Air Force pilots, but they pretty much serve as set dressing for the Decepticons to destroy. The onslaught of giant evil robots, including Insecticons and Laserbeak (or maybe Buzzsaw, I could never keep those two straight) make short work of the flyboys, but the real treat comes in the form of Megatron defiantly swatting an attacking plane out of the air with a backhand.

I loved this first issue. The writing didn't blow the doors off of the comic world, but we're adapting a 1980s children's cartoon about robots, not crafting the new Maus. Rampant robot destruction is the order of the day and it is delivered in spades. Character moments are mostly relegated to the tried and true Starscream trope of him puffing out his robochest only to be slapped down by Megatron.
Classic.

The art is outstanding, appearing to be heavily manga-influenced and sharp as hell. The details, especially on the Transformers, are painstakingly detailed without overcomplicated design.
Michael Bay, I'm lookin' at you . . .
The color palette, while crisp, is ever so muted and reminded me of watching the cartoon on my old, low-def 1980s television.
High marks all around for the art team.

I've got 9 more issues of All Hail Megatron to peruse and, if I know my Transformers like I know my Transformers, I'm in store for an epic Megatron/Optimus Prime throwdown here before too long.
I've got Stan Bush's "The Touch" cued up and ready to jam . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment